The Minories, London

Latidude: 51.5123660
Longitude: -0.0746880
Learn more here


Notes: Site of the Abbey of the Minoresses of St. Mary of the Order of St. Clare, founded in 1294, which stood on the site; a "minoress" was a nun. The area was a papal peculiar outside the jurisdiction of the English bishops. The abbey was dissolved in 1539, the property passing to the Crown. The chapel of the former abbey was used as the parish church of Holy Trinity, Minories; and other buildings became an armoury and later workhouse. In 1686, the area became part of the Liberties of the Tower of London.

Nearby Places:
A. St Katharine by the Tower, London (0.34 km)
B. St Martin le Grand, London (0.99 km)
C. Blackfriars, London (1.19 km)
D. Whitefriars, London (1.4 km)

Manuscripts tagged here:

None yet!

Items tagged here:

[dates in Julian calendar]